I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Thursday TV Tournament: Match-up 20 Results

Today's match-up is between twenty-first seed, Community Season Two, Episode Fourteen, "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons," which aired February 3, 2011, and twenty-eighth seed, Community Season Two, Episode Twenty-One, "Paradigms of Human Memory," which aired April 21, 2011. The results are in:



If things had lined up differently, I could imagine these two episodes making it all the way to the end. But as it turns out, "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" was eliminated today. In the end there can be only one. Why was "Paradigms of Human Memory" better? I think Adam Friedli summed it up pretty succinctly:

While I appreciate what they did with "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons," "Paradigms of Human Memory" wins this round for me.

Now, I know Community has only been around for two seasons. But even still, "Paradigms of Human Memory" felt like classic Community. It had tons of quick and witty jokes, and a lot of the subtle humor that made me fall in love with the show in the first place.

A large part of this was mentioning situations as if they were common knowledge to the viewer, when in reality this was the first mention of any of them. They also addressed and explained portions of earlier shows, such as Annie's issue with stolen pens. There was just a lot going on and it all worked really well for me.

This show also reminded me of an episode of South Park where the kids were stranded in a school bus stuck near an edge of a cliff named "City on the Edge of Forever" (207). The kids start reminiscing about events from previous shows, but they end up changing the details so they always end up eating ice cream. Now that's what I call a sticky situation.

Tune in next time for thirty-first seed, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season Six, Episode Nine, "Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth," which aired November 11, 2010, and fifteenth seed, 30 Rock Season Five, Episode Twelve, "Operation Righteous Cowboy Lightning," which aired January 27, 2011. We're half-way through the sweet sixteen!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't gotten into 30 Rock yet, so I will only comment on the episode of Always Sunny.

    I love It's Always Sunny in Philsdelphia, but this episode is just not nearly as strong as others from the season. In the previous episode, Dee and Charlie get jobs working at a high school. They'e not doing that fantastic there, but at least they managed to get work other than the bar, even if they were basically forced into finding other work. Anyway, in this episode, Frank, Mac, and Dennis all manage to get Charlie and Dee fired with their antics. A large part of this stemmed from a discussion the three had regarding the use of black-face in Lethal Weapon 5 (a movie they made where Mac played Danny Glover's character). I just realized this explanation won't make much sense unless someone has seen the episode.

    The episode was definitely entertaining, but it never had that one part that really stuck with me to the point where I would want to separate out the clip, upload it to Youtube, and obnoxiously share it with all of my friends (not that there's anything wrong with that). I won't argue if Always Sunny wins this round, because it's still Always Sunny and a great show regardless. That being said, I would say 30 Rock has an excellent chance of winning this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Adam. Keep up the commenting.

    ReplyDelete