I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Angry Birds


I used to join in at making fun of hipsters who sit around playing Angry Birds on their iPhones. Then I started playing Angry Birds for free through Google Chrome's application service. It's really a clever and incredibly fun game with a lot of replay value. The unfortunate side-effect of playing this game is I now have to question my identity. Am I a hipster? Compared to my New York friends, I would give that question a definitive, "No!" But compared to most of my Michigan and Texas friends, I think I might just qualify as a hipster. How long have I been a hipster? Well, I've been playing Indie games like World of Goo and Super Meatboy for a few years now. I care to find new and different music, movies and television programs. Maybe I've been a hipster for a long time. Of course, I do find one solace: The only time I ever wear tight pants is when I've put on a lot of weight. As long as that remains true, I should be safe.

2 comments:

  1. Who claimed angry birds for hipsters? I think you would be more hipster for mocking people who play angry birds. I believe you stopped being a hipster for playing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know who claimed it for hipsters. But we're taking it back!

    ReplyDelete