I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tapatio Hot Sauce


This weekend I found out that one of my favorite restaurants, San Marcos in Caledonia, Michigan, had been bought out by another Mexican restaurant chain called El Arriero. While El Arriero is certainly not the worst Mexican food, it is far from the fantastic San Marcos. The one jewel that I was able to find in this whole emotional septic tank of a situation was that El Arriero uses a hot sauce called Tapatio. You probably remember that I have promoted a hot sauce called Cholula on this site, not because of the heat it brings to entrees, but because of the flavor. I originally discovered Cholula at San Marcos. Well, this hot sauce called Tapatio, the one I discovered at San Marcos' replacement restaurant, is even better. Compared to Tapatio, the flavor of Cholula tastes like a bilious hot wing sauce. Tapatio is capable of maintaining this high quality flavor even in the face of a good degree of heat, something that I've never come across in a hot sauce. Most of the time, you sacrifice flavor for heat and vice versa. I highly recommend Tapatio, and once the paychecks come rolling in you can bet I'm going to have a bottle of it in my kitchen at all times.

2 comments:

  1. dude, branch out. Cholula and Tapatio are good if the only hot sauce you have ever tried is Tobasco. This is like the bottom tier of hot-sauces. It's like saying "I always drink keystone but the mobile station got changed into a citco and they have Natural Ice and now that's my favorite." Find the PBR of cheap hot sauces. At least find the high life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see it like lining the bottom of a portfolio with solid, go-to hot sauces. My next step is going after the high-risk hot sauces. It also doesn't help that I'm only really commenting on hot sauces you can find in Grand Rapids restaurants. For that, I'm lucky to have anything other than Tobasco.

    ReplyDelete