I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Friday, August 5, 2011

MOO-ville Milk


Every year I've found myself less and less capable of breaking down milk. Yes, this means that I'm lactose intolerant. It also means that I feel like my body has already begun to decompose. I have begun the descent toward death.

I've been corralled by fate into only drinking soy milk. Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love soy milk. But to believe that the taste of milk and the taste of soy milk are comparable is like believing that McDonalds hamburgers are comparable to the flame-broyled burgers of Burger King. It's apples and oranges, not better or worse. While soy milk can quench many of the needs that normal cow milk used to take care of, it simply cannot substitute for the singular taste of milk.

I was at Ella's, a fantastic coffee shop in Lowell, Michigan, for a child's birthday party when Ella, the woman who runs the restaurant, introduced me to MOO-ville Milk. Not many people know this, but Ella herself is lactose intolerant, but she drinks MOO-ville Milk. "At MOO-Ville," she explained, "they pasteurize their milk, but they don't homogenize the milk." As a result, Ella is able to drink MOO-Ville milk despite her lactose intolerance. An added bonus is the fact that MOO-Ville is based out of Nashville, Michigan, which means that when someone buys a gallon the money is staying in the state of Michigan. And let's face it: Michigan needs an economy boost more than most states in the union.

As of right now, my girlfriend Amy is the bread winner of our family. She also happens to be the milk winner. There are few days more exciting than the day she brings home a new jug of MOO-Ville Milk. Everyone gathers around, hoping to get a glass. They like the milk because of its creamy taste. It is really one of the best-tasting milks I've ever drank. For me, MOO-Ville fills a vital need in my life, the need to have milk despite my lactose intolerance, with the great taste coming in a close second.

If you want MOO-Ville Milk, feel free to stop by Ella's of Lowell. It's a fantastic place: great coffee, fantastic sandwiches, and even better baked goods. But she's also one of the biggest promoters of MOO-Ville Milk in the area. Or, check out MOO-Ville yourself. Also - and keep this one hush, hush - word on the street is that MOO-Ville sells ice cream. That's right! Ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment