I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Rock Band 3




You know, I think I may have been in this playing fake music with fake plastic instruments from the very beginning. I remember trying to five star every song on every difficulty on Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero 3, and then there was the blast of a time I had playing Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s at "our bar" in New York City. Of course, long before that, and this was before the 80s were retro, when the 80s was just called "now" or "today," I remember rocking out on the Hit Stix, a pair of drum sticks hooked up to a speaker. A couple of years ago I got into Rock Band, Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero World Tour with a group of friends that would one day evolve into my Dungeons and Dragons group. This series of games has given me a lot of memories, but I have to say that Rock Band 3 is by far the best game. Now that people can't remember a time when there wasn't a plastic guitar with five colored buttons leaning against the wall near their television, a game like Rock Band 3 has to really bring it. And it does. There are more songs to choose from, even stealing from previous installations, and the game is more of a party game, like a Mario Party with guitars and drums. After completing the world tour, I felt accomplished. And I also felt like going back and getting gold medals on everything. I don't know that Rock Band 3 can be followed. My suggestion: either abandon making future games in this genre or keep adding more downloadable content with new songs and game modes.

No comments:

Post a Comment