I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Friday, August 19, 2011

Publication History: Sharon Robideaux: The Examined Life

This is one of the couple of things I've had published that I am the least embarrassed about. The writing isn't terrible, but that's not what I'm talking about. The article I wrote for the Grand Valley State University magazine titled "Sharon Robideaux: The Examined Life" is one of my favorites because it was the right thing to do. Sharon Robideaux was one of my favorite writing professors that I ever studied with, but she wasn't a tenured faculty. When I wrote this piece, it was my intent to make a case that her Visiting Professor status should be renewed. The last sentence I wrote was, "Visiting Professor she may be, but for the sake of Grand Valley students, let's hope that her visit is extended indefinitely." When the article was published Professor Robideaux had already been let go from Grand Valley, so the article turned into my way of saying, "You did the wrong thing, Grand Valley. You should have renewed her contract."


I know it's either difficult or impossible to read the text on this file, but the original is accessible by simply clicking on the picture. If that is too small, then drop me a line and I can transcribe the file. Or don't read it. Depending on your interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment