I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ol' South Pancake House


In a previous post, I mentioned that there is a "holy trinity" of Fort Worth restaurants near TCU (Fuzzy's, Mellow Mushroom, Ol' South). I also mentioned that Mellow Mushroom is one of the two "holy" restaurants that belongs to my list of blogworthy restaurants. The other is Ol' South.

When asked about Ol' South, I once responded, "Ol' South is like IHOP if IHOP served good food." They serve, on one hand, rich variations on pancakes, waffles, and other breakfast delicacies, and, on the other hand, Texas favorites like chicken fried steak. I personally prefer Ol' South's take on Mexican food, specifically their breakfast tacos with chorizo. This is probably my favorite Mexican (alt-Mexican? Tex-Mex?) dish in Fort Worth.


The one thing I thought Ol' South was missing was hot sauce at every table. I found that tobasco is available upon request, which isn't all that exciting, but also that a personal favorite, Cholula, is available. There's nothing on Ol' South's menu that can't be garnished with Cholula. As a matter of fact, Amy had to stop me from putting it on a pancake and, in the process, destroy her image of pancakes proper.

If you visit Fort Worth and don't visit Ol' South, you're missing out. End of story.

Ol' South Pancake House
1509 South University Dr.
Fort Worth, TX 76107

No comments:

Post a Comment