I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Southland Tales (2006)


Southland Tales is Richard Kelly's middle child. Stuck in the shadow of its fantastic older sibling Donnie Darko and occasionally taking out its frustration on the tottering film The Box, Southland Tales is one of my favorite movies of the last decade. For some time I was caught in a web of "this is the perfect movie for you, Justin" and "don't bother, this movie is trash." Over time, however, my love for singer/actor Justin Timberlake, wrestler/actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, singer/actress Mandy Moore, and slayer/actress Sarah Michelle Gellar waxed until it became impossible not to watch Southland Tales. I first watched Southland Tales with Adam Friedli. For the first half of the film I was intrigued despite the slow pace, but there came a moment half-way through when it just clicked, a conversion moment of sorts. I had to buy Southland Tales and show it to everyone I cared for, in the same way a Jew might feel the urgency to circumcise his kin in fear of God's wrath. I very nearly named a pet cat Boxer Santaros after the film's protagonist. Honestly, I think Richard Kelly owes me a "thank you" for the new fans I've brought him.

1 comment:

  1. Cock Chuggers Two: Cock Chuggin'?

    ...

    Can I see the Cock Chuggers?

    ReplyDelete