I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

True Blood


There are a variety of reasons why you might overlook the hit HBO vampire drama True Blood. Perhaps you're convinced that nothing that Alan Ball makes can ever compare to Six Feet Under. Perhaps you're at your wit's end with this vampire trend and True Blood seems like just another Twilight knock-off. Maybe you've read the Sookie Stackhouse Novels and think the television version falls short.

I am fortunate (and also unfortunate) that I have not yet watched Six Feet Under, that I haven't seen a vampire show since Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and the last vampire I watched was Lost Boys), and that I haven't read a single book by Charlaine Harris. I am able to watch True Blood unmediated by these prejudices and I love it. It engages me on a level that only LOST, Twin Peaks and Battlestar Galactica ever have, and it deals with issues of race, sexuality and religion in a way that I haven't seen since I first read Uncanny X-Men.

Oh, and the music's fantastic. Watch True Blood already.

No comments:

Post a Comment