I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Thursday, March 3, 2011

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)


I love Stanley Kubrick.I read the entire series of 2001 books written by Arthur C. Clarke. I love the Nietzschean overtones. I love the soundtrack/score. I love everything about 2001: A Space Odyssey, but the thing that has really stuck with me is the black monolith. Appearing at key points in human history, the indiscernible pillar confounds and advances the minds of those who encounter it. Lingering on the mystery of such a technology, I feel my own mind alienated and evolved. I watched 2001 for the first time mere hours before the ball dropped at midnight and I celebrated the coming of 2001, of the Willennium, which means I've had "that darn monolith" on my mind for over a decade now. Can you tell the difference in my brain?

No comments:

Post a Comment