I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mellow Mushroom


When Amy came to Fort Worth I was challenged with the necessity of discerning which restaurants would be best to dine at during her short stay. Reflecting upon my first several visits to Fort Worth a couple years ago a sort of "Holy Trinity" of Fort Worth-near-TCU restaurants emerged, namely Fuzzy's Tacos on Berry, Ol' South on University, and a pizza place called Mellow Mushroom. Prior to bringing Amy to Mellow Mushroom I had little love for Mellow Mushroom, but dining there a couple days before TCU classes resumed for the semester I found that my disdain had come not from the restaurant itself but from the masses of wealthy, self-obsessed and often whiny undergraduates who frequent the popular pizza place.


Mellow Mushroom is a hip restaurant, and, as the name suggests, it plays upon the imagery of stoner culture. Amy was immediately reminded of a favorite sub shop in Tucson, Arizona called Cheba Hut. We ordered a Mellow Mushroom specialty A Magical Combination, which includes Magical Mystery Tour, a pesto base pizza with button and portabello mushrooms, mozerella, spinach, feta and jalapenos, and a Magic Hat #9 beer. The pizza tasted fantastic, and in the proper pizza style it was still good after sitting a couple days in Amy's car when I ate it in the parking lot of the Container Store. The Magic Hat #9 reminded me of my year living in Brooklyn where Magic Hat beers are much more common on tap at bars. It got me tipsy pretty quickly after only one beer, but also after spending a great deal of time moving my Christmas presents and bags back into my apartment.

Of the "Holy Trinity," two of the restaurants are pretty great. Mellow Mushroom is certainly one of them, and I suggest you check it out. As for the second of the great restaurants, I suppose you'll just have to stay tuned to Cavemengo in order to find out.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Mellow Mushroom
3455 Bluebonnet Circle
Fort Worth, TX 76109

No comments:

Post a Comment