I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Good Name: Harvey

Relatively early in our relationship, Amy and I began thinking about names for hypothetical children that we might have. Amy is a fan of classic names, and I am a fan of names with interesting connections or possible meanings. The name Harvey was a fantastic intersection of these values.

Harvey is the first name of District Attorney Dent from Batman comic book fame, the heroic Gothamite whose personality split when a mob boss threw acid on one side of his face. In naming a child Harvey, we'd like to focus on the "white knight" Harvey Dent, but I have to say that I'm kind of excited to come home and, in my most terrifyingly gritty voice, shouting, "Where's Harvey?!?!"


Amy has been looking into the upcoming television program Game of Thrones a lot. It seems that the book series that it is based on features wolves, but wolves are really difficult to train for television so they're using Northern Inuit dogs instead. These things are beautiful animals, and I think a dog named Harvey would probably go over well with all concerned.


According to my mom, however, Harvey would be a great name if you were a rabbit. I assume that's a reference to something, but I just don't get it.

2 comments:

  1. Please tell me you are joking with the whole not getting the Harvey/Rabbit joke. It is hard to sense sarcasm in print (or whatever the written word in blog form would be called), but I'm going to tell myself that this last little bit was sarcasm, because if you really don't get the reference, a little piece of me (the piece that is a huge Jimmy Stewart fan) will die.

    And none of us want that. (Especially not the Jimmy Stewart fan part of me.)

    ReplyDelete