I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Monday, April 4, 2011

Borderlands







I had intended to write a heartfelt essay on my completion of Borderlands titled either "Twilight Over Pandora" or "Farewell, Pandora," or some other purposely melodramatic title, but I always felt that there would be more to Borderlands. Claptrap's New Robot Revolution was released on September 28, 2010 as the last Borderlands DLC, and it tied up the overarching story in a really satisfying way.

And yet I'm still not satisfied. What is it going to take for me to be satisfied with Borderlands? Do I need to get one of each of the rarest weapons? Do I need to find every single secret location? Must I have the most powerful character or accomplish the fastest speed run?

I can never be satisfied with Borderlands. I can never complete Borderlands and move on. Borderlands is one of the few works of art (LOST, Pink Floyd's The Wall, etc.) that I just cannot shake. Pandora is one of the alternate dimensions of my mind, and it never really sleeps. It never sees its twilight.

I may yet write, "Twilight Over Pandora." I just need some perspective. I just need some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment