I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Monday, July 19, 2010

San Marcos


In order to illustrate how surprised I was at finding such amazing cuisine at San Marcos in Caledonia, Michigan I need to tell you something about my upbringing. I was born and raised in Cascade, a small township Southeast of Grand Rapids, Michigan. My family was lower middle-class, but my high school was crowded with children from affluent families. We had been taught that the people in Caledonia all ride around on tractors and that a scent of cattle manure lingered forever over the land.

We now flash forward to the present. It was brought to my attention that San Marcos in Caledonia was one of the best Mexican restaurants in the greater Grand Rapids area. Trained to believe that Caledonia was devoid of culture and having recently lived amongst some of the best Mexican food in the nation in Texas, it was difficult to believe that this restaurant was to be anything more than some average restaurant.


Since that day I've been back several times. San Marcos has the most authentic Mexican food I've ever tasted in the Midwest. The wait staff is amazing and amiable. There isn't a bad choice on their menu. I do believe that nobody should miss out on the Hot and Spicy Burrito. It's one of the most flavorful burritos I've eaten in my nearly three decades of existence. San Marcos makes it difficult not to come back time and time again. I myself have fallen happily victim to this fact.

San Marcos
9740 Cherry Valley Ave SE
Caledonia, MI 49316

No comments:

Post a Comment