I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Good Name: Soyuz

You have come to know by now that I really like finding good and obscure names for various future pets or children. While reading Y The Last Man I was repeatedly exposed to the name *SPOILER ALERT* Soyuz, a good Russian-sounding space-name. My first thought was that Soyuz would be a good name for a chimpanzee. Why? Because chimpanzees have been in space and one of the main characters in Y The Last Man is a chimpanzee named Ampersand.


My second thought was a tarantula, because the Soyuz module attached to the International Space Station appears to have two segments, much like the body of your ordinary average arachnid.


Finally, the Russian name makes me think of Colossus from the Uncanny X-Men, who often exclaimed, "By the white wolf!" I think I'd have difficulty taming a wolf to be my pet, and I have trouble with denying such a noble animal of its amazing instincts anyways. Siberian huskies, however, have a lot of the looks of wolves and have been domesticated for years. Soyuz, the Siberian husky could work, nyet?

No comments:

Post a Comment