I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mark Wahlberg


Actor Mark Wahlberg. Wahlberg is one of a small list of actors who can make any movie enjoyable for me, from brilliant movies like Boogie Nights, Three Kings, I Heart Huckabees, Four Brothers, and The Departed, to movies in genres that normally don't interest me (sports films, video game films, post-80s action films) like Invincible, Max Payne and The Fighter. It was actually during a Mark Wahlberg film titled The Italian Job that I first made the distinction between movies I would call good and movies I would call fun. Wahlberg enjoys expressing what is great about humanity through athleticism and family relationships in less-than-ideal settings, giving me a new perspective whenever I sit down to watch football or hockey. Wahlberg is one of those deserted island actors, mainly because every one of his movies has some sort of value to it. I'm excited to see him on the big screen, but also just as excited to see what kinds of movies he will produce and (crosses fingers) direct in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment