I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Christian Bale


Actor Christian Bale. Christian Bale and I have a long history. I hope it is OK if I give you the Cliff's Notes version. I first encountered Bale as Patrick Bateman in a movie called American Psycho (2000), a film that I originally thought to be a disgusting horror movie but have since come to know it as a dark comedy. Wearing a suit and committed to covering over his dark side by trying to fit in I felt certain that Bale would be the best possible Bruce Wayne should the Batman franchise reboot. Sure enough, Batman Begins was released in 2005 with Bale starring as Bruce Wayne / Batman. Bale's performances in these two movies together with 2004's The Machinist were all Academy Award quality, and working my way through his filmography I found that 1987's Empire of the Sun and 2007's 3:10 to Yuma both also featured Academy Award worthy performances by Bale. My dreams finally came true this year, because Bale is nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in The Fighter, and a lot of critics are saying he's a shoe in (though Geoffrey Rush will probably give him a run for his money). My hypothetical money is on Christian Bale.

No comments:

Post a Comment