I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Monday, October 10, 2011

A Guide to Video Game Lingo 11

1. Rare Drop (noun) - an item that has a low probability of appearing.


"I can't believe you keep getting rare drop pearlescent weapons every time you beat Krawmerax. I've killed him thirty times and never seen anything above an orange."

2. Exploit (noun) - a bug or design flaw in a video game that allows a player to gain an unintended advantage.


"I got most of my best weapons from the armory exploit."


3. Item Dupe (noun) - a bug or design flaw in a video game that allows a player to create duplicates of items or currency.


"He figured out an item dupe, so now he never has to worry about money anymore."

5 comments:

  1. I always look forward to these. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drop me a line if there are some phrases that you've encountered that you don't think noobs would be familiar with, OK? Education and entertainment, hand in hand, nyet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have a few I think. Consolitus comes to mind, haha. It might be controversial and potentially spark a nasty debate. You could do 2 lists though. One could have anti-console terms, while the other could have anti-PC terms. That would be fair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is consolitus a term that is generally used in-game? That's what most of these are. And a term is a term. It doesn't mean I'm taking one side or another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nah, that stuff doesn't really fit for what you're trying to do.

    ReplyDelete