I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Kanye's Choice Awards

Say what you will about Kanye West, but the dude has some pretty fantastic taste in music. Here are just a couple of examples.

Kanye West, "Stronger"



The song "Stronger" was the second single from Kanye's 2007 album Graduation. The song is a re-imagination of the Daft Punk song "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger." My buddy Adam hated the song for some time because he felt there was no need to rework this song, but when he found out that Kanye is a fellow Daft Punk fan he was won over. I love Kanye's tribute to Daft Punk even moreso because he includes a tribute to Prince and Purple Rain for anyone listening to the lyrics: "You know how long I've been on ya? / Since Prince was on Appollonia."

Kanye West, "Coldest Winter"



I'm sure you've figured out by now that I'm a big fan of Tears for Fears. If you've also figured out that the Kanye West song "Coldest Winter" from 808s & Heartbreak (2008) is a cover of the Tears for Fears song "Memories Fade" from The Hurting (1983), then you have probably figured out why it is one of my favorite Kanye West songs.

These are just a couple of examples of Kanye's great taste in music. If you have more, feel free to share them with me. Nooch.

No comments:

Post a Comment