I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Czech Stop


You won't find West, Texas (not to be confused with the region West Texas or the city George West, Texas) on every map of Texas. If you do find West on a map, I would have no trouble believing that it is because of the Czech Stop. The Czech Stop is one of the true gems of Texas, one of two places I suggest above all others to those who come to Texas. (The other place is Rudy's Bar-B-Q.) In the town of West you'll find little more than the Czech Stop and Little Czech Bakery, but I'll have you know that Czech Stop is enough.

What's so great about the Czech Stop? It's the home of some of the magnificent baked goods I have ever experienced, Czech delights known as kolaches and klobasneks. The difference between the two is that kolaches (lemon, cherry, blueberry, apricot) are usually filled with fruit whereas klobasneks are filled with some combination of meat and cheese (sausage, sausage and cheese, "hots," jalapeno sausage with cheese).



I first ate at the Czech Stop on the way to a mission trip in Harlingen, Texas in the Southeastern tip of Texas, and have made sure that I've stopped there every chance I've had since then. I've warned everyone I know who has traveled through West to get off and get themselves some kolaches. I wish everyone could experience the Czech Stop. I've never had a kolache or klobasnek that I didn't love. There have been some that I've loved more than others. My favorite items from my most recent trip to Czech Stop were the pumpkin and cream cheese kolache (possibly a seasonal treat) and the sausage and kraut klobasnek with swiss cheese. I suggest that you drop by Czech Stop and stock up on a variety of kolaches and klobasneks. I have a tendency to buy them not as a meal but as road trip and video gaming snacks. Whenever you eat them, these Czech treats will not disappoint.

Czech Stop
105 N. College Ave.
West, TX 76691

No comments:

Post a Comment