I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Schnitz World Famous Deli


I don't mean to sound like a snob, but having lived in New York City for a year and getting to know the amazing sandwich cuisine of the East Coast I found myself skeptical about this Delicatessen known as Schnitz in Ada, Michigan. I found myself happily surprised. Schnitz Deli understands the most important fact of sandwich making. You have to just pile on the delectable deli meat. Every sandwich needs to be much taller than one would imagine. You have to either stretch your mouth to its largest capacity in order to take a bite of such a sandwich or find some strategic methodology of taking the beast apart. That's how you make a sandwich.

The people at Schnitz must have understood this fact long before I did, because their sandwiches are spectacular. It's become one of my favorite restaurants in the greater Grand Rapids area.


I imagine all of the Schnitz sandwiches are heroic in taste. Unfortunately, I have not been able to taste them all because I am hooked on the Evan's Double Dip, one of Schnitz's many variations on the classic Reuben recipe with corned beef, cole slaw, swiss cheese, pastrami, sauerkraut and 1,000 island dressing on rye bread. The sandwich is enormous, which means there's a good chance you won't be able to finish it in one sitting. Here's the good news: Schnitz offers to-go boxes and the Evan's Double Dip is just as good the next day.

There are three locations of Schnitz World Famous Deli in the greater Grand Rapids area:

Schnitz Deli
1315 E. Fulton St.
Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Schnitz South Deli
1529 Langley St. SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49508

Schnitz Ada Grill
597 Ada Dr. SE
Ada, MI 49301

-------------------------------------

UPDATE:

On a recent trip to Schnitz, I found that the meat loaf and nachos are also amazing. That said, if you've ever gone to Schnitz and have never eaten the Evan's Double Dip you've done yourself a disservice.

No comments:

Post a Comment