I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz


Marvel Comics has been turning classic works of literature into comic books for years now with varying success. I think it's a great idea. You've probably heard me talk about how much I love LOST and Harry Potter because they both push people to read good books, classics even, and this is what Marvel has been doing. Their take on L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is said to be more true to the original than the movie was, and the art of Skottie Young is impressive. I actually met Young at a recent comic book convention in Traverse City, Michigan, and got an autographed copy of the book for my beautiful, comic-loving girlfriend (THEY DO EXIST!). I would definitely recommend this book. Comics don't have to be about superheroes anymore. It's an art form that can do anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment