I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Monday, June 21, 2010

Slows Bar- B-Q


For my beautiful girlfriend's birthday, we traveled across the state of Michigan in order to go to Slows Bar-B-Q in Detroit, a restaurant she'd seen on the Food Network. Having lived in Texas for two years, I was the self-proclaimed judge of whether or not this was real Barbecue.

Like I said, I've lived in Texas for two years. What I've learned while in Texas is that a measure of a Barbecue joint's authenticity is their brisket. A good brisket should be slow cooked, something that you can tell if you've had enough practice eating brisket. Slows Texas Style Beef Brisket was just that. The next thing a good Barbecue joint should have is good sides. The Mac-N-Cheese was magnificent, but the real test of their sides was the quality of Mom's Green Beans. I would have liked to try their Cornbread, but there was a shortage that day.

My verdict, in case you couldn't tell, is that you can definitely get authentic barbecue at Slows in Detroit. All y'all Northerners should consider heading over there, because it's certainly cheaper than driving all the way to Texas. (However, if you choose to drive to Texas for it, drop me a line: I might need a ride back to school in August.)

SLOWS BAR-B-Q
2138 Michigan Ave.
Detroit, MI 48216

No comments:

Post a Comment