I think about a world to come where the books were found by the golden ones, written in pain, written in awe by a puzzled man who questioned, "What are we here for?" All the strangers came today and it looks as though they're here to stay.

-David Bowie "Oh! You Pretty Things"

Friday, July 29, 2011

Bioshock









I do believe it took me three summers to finish Bioshock. It had nothing to do with disinterest. From the very beginning, the game is already one of the most intriguing stories I've ever encountered. The reason it took me so long was because every time I would sit down to play Bioshock I would get so scared that I couldn't play for long. Someone was always popping out of nowhere and threatening my life, and sometimes they were incredibly hard to defeat. Any time I had just played, you could touch my shoulders and feel the tension that had risen into them. There was a time when I measured the greatness of a work of art by the amount of emotion I felt upon experiencing it. I didn't say happiness or laughter or anything like that. Sometimes anger or sadness, but in the case of Bioshock it is fright and anxiety that make it obviously a work of high art. I'm sure you've all played this game years ago, but if there is anyone out there who hasn't, you really should. It is on almost everyone's list of best games of all time, and there's a good chance it will make it to yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment